Yulianus Pigai, one of the victims of shooting in Deiyai Regency August 1 2017 - IST

Security forces allegedly shot 17 Papuans, one dead


Yulianus Pigai, one of the victims of shooting in Deiyai Regency August 1 2017 – IST

Jayapura, Jubi – The TNI, Police and Brimob joint forces allegedly shot 17 civilians of indigenous Papuans (OAP) in Deiyai ​​District. One of them named Yulianus Pigai was shot by hot bullet, six were still being treated at Deiyai ​​Hospital, three were treated at Tendage Health Centre, Deiyai, and seven children were treated by his family.

One eyewitness (PE) said, this incident began on Tuesday afternoon, August 1, 2017, at around 16:30 local time.

At that time a young man, Ravianus Douw, 24 years old, with six other friends bathed in Oneibo Creek, Deiyai. At that time a number of workers are working on an interconnection bridge project under the contractor company PT. Putra Dewa Paniai.

“Locals appealed for vehicle assistance to the company that is building a bridge on Oneibo Creek to rush the victim to the hospital. But the company did not pay attention, so one of the residents must go to Waghete (nearby town) to call for vehicle that is quite far, at about 10 km,” he said.


“After being rushed to Madi Hospital, Paniai, the victim passed away,” he said.

A similar narrative said by Father Santon Petege Pr., a leader of Paniai Parochial told Jubi on Tuesday night (August 1).

Father Santon said, there were some young men bathing in Kali Oneibo. One of them drowned. But after being saved to the surface, this young man was still alive and in critical condition, he needs help.

They then asked for help to the bridge workers to use the company’s car to bring the victim to Paniai Hospital. Unfortunately the workers did not want to rent the car to bring the drowned victims to the hospital.

There was an unsuccessful bargain. Five hours later, a different car was obtained. The victim was then quickly taken to Madi hospital. About 2.5 hours drive by car to the hospital in Madi, Paniai.

“But he died when he got to the hospital,” said Father Santon.

The victim’s family and relatives think that the victim (Ravianus) might still be saved if the company workers agree to lend their car. They were disappointed and then got angry at the workers, who were still in the vicinity of the bridge construction.

“Then this project chief called the police. The joint forces of police, mobile brigade police and army officers came. Did not ask questions but shot several youths,” he said.

Father Santon deplored the acts of thuggery of the apparatus. According to him, they should ask in advance to find out the real case. “I am very sorry. Officers must be responsible,” he said.

The police refused of shooting recklessly                                                 

Meanwhile, Head of Public Relations of Papua Police, Kombes (Pol) A.M. Kamal confirmed to Jubi on late Tuesday the chronology of Ravianus Douw’s death. But he denied the officers shot at people recklessly.

Police also said that when local people came to the location of the project, there was an incident of beating to one of the workers and also destruction around the site. On that basis, according to him, the company then called Mobile Brigade Police which is about one kilometer from the location.

Brimob commander with local police force, about nine people, then headed to the location and checked all workers.

“There was one worker went missing, maybe because he was afraid and run, but now he’s found,” he said.

He claims that his members have attempted a persuasive approach and negotiated with the local citizens, but they failed.

“The villagers attacked the security forces probably because they thought police would defend the company. Brimob and police officers withdrew while firing warning shots into the air. Because people are still throwing stones at members of Brimob and police, they then shoot to the ground and apparently there are bounce’s bullet and wound four residents. No one died because of the bullets. Only some wounded,” he said.

Meanwhile, Paniai Police Chief, AKBP. Supriyagung said on Tuesday night (1/8) that he was at the Tigi police station to confirm the incident. “I am in the Sector police station, to check the truth of the news referred. Children (victims) are also going to the hospital,” he said.


Victims in Deiyai hospital

Officer of Deiyai Hospital emergency unit, Yanuarius Pekei said, as many as seven victims were rushed to hospitals and one of them had died from three bullets in the left and right legs.

“The one who died named Yulianus Pigai. The bullet is still in his body. The other three are still critical, named Yunior Pakage, hit by a right-footed shot to the left; Delia Pekei was shot on the right shoulder right to the right arms; And John Pakage was also hit by on his arm,” he said.

He added that three other victims of Meki Pakage, Esebius Pakage and Penis Pakage suffered minor injuries and had been given medication.(*)

You might also like