Five survivors from the incidents of seedboat burned in PNG (Jubi)
Merauke , 11/2 ( Jubi ) – The commander of Merauke Naval Base XI, Brigadier General Buyung Lalana, has urged border crossers entering Papua New Guinea waters to search five fishermen who went missing after their boat was allegedly attacked by people suspected to be PNG soldiers.
“The search operation is continuing, with 12 rescuers being deployed together with two of five survivors and relatives of the missing, ” Buyung told reporters in Merauke on Tuesday (2/11 ).
There was no information about where speed boat is .
“Even members of the military also took part in the search and the result was zero,” he said.
The search operation has been hampered by heavy seas and strong winds, he said.
Buyung confirmed that the ten fishermen reported to the Torasi post before they crossed to PNG territory. .
“Yes, they reported themselves and generally they are traditional border-crossers. After the incident, there were some who survived and directly returned,” he said.
He said according to one survivor the speedboat was burned by armed people wearing the uniform of PNG soldiers.
He added there had been cases in which PNG citizens had been arrested for not having immigration papers, but they were treated well and allowed to return home safely. ( Jubi / Frans Kobun / Tina)