Yemiter Murib, when arrested by Police (Jubi)


Yemiter Murib, when arrested by Police (Jubi)

Yemiter Murib, when arrested by Police (Jubi)

Jayapura 19/2 (Jubi) – Police have arrested a 16-years-old boy on suspicions he took part in an attack on the Kurilik police station in Puncak Jaya.

Police have transferred to the suspect, Wekiles Kogoya a.k.a. Uron Giren, from a detention facility in Puncak Jaya to the provincial police, said director of criminal Investigations at the Papua police Senior Commissioner  Dwi Riyanto.

The attackers on 4 January made off with eight firearms and more than 200 bullets.

Police have also arrested another suspect, identified as 19-year-old Yemiter Murib, in connection with the attack.
“We arrested YM on January 19, while WK (Wekiles Kogoya) was arrested when queuing for cheap rice in front of the official resident of Puncak Jaya regent on 15 February 2014. He did not resist when arrested,” Dwi told to reporters on Wednesday (19/2).


He said the initial investigation concluded that Tenggat Mati Enumi and Cari Jalan Telenggen had led the attack. Papua Police will also investigate whether this attack had been had been ordered by local armed group leader Goliath Tabuni.

Dwi  added the geographical factor in Puncak Jaya became a major constraint for the officers in trying to find the perpetrators.
“The assigned officers are new personnel and didn’t know the situation on the ground.  We hope that the perpetrators will surrender. But if we cannot arrest them, at least we can take our weapons back,” he said.

Police have listed seven persons on its wanted list in connection with the attack.

Police will charge Wekiles with possession of weapons and explosives. He could face 20 years in prison if found guilty.

Wekiles told to reporters that before the attack, he gathered with the group in his house located near the police station.
“Two people came to the house saying ‘take the weapons’. There were 8 people inside the house including the Leader Tengah Mati. Two people went to the police station and returned back to my house,” Kogoya said on Wednesday (19/2).

When he and his friends arrived at the police station, he added, they put two police officers at gunpoint and Tengah Mati came to the police station after that.
“All weapons have been taken, I was the last person who came. I was confused whether coming home or running to the river. But they called me and wanted to shoot me. So I joined them,” he said.

They went to Kurilik after seizing the weapons.
“They stood in line and took a picture of themselves holding the guns. I gave them the bulletproof vest that I just took and then I went back to Mewoluk,” he said. (Jubi/Indrayadi TH/rom)

You might also like