Papuans plan to boycott Indonesian elections, say activists | West Papua No.1 News Portal
Connect with us

Headlines

Papuans plan to boycott Indonesian elections, say activists

Published

on

Indonesian People’s Front for West Papua spokesperson Surya Anta (centre) speaking at LBH Jakarta last week. -CNN Indonesia

Papua, Jubi – West Papuan people will not take part in Indonesia’s 2019 presidential and legislative elections, say the Indonesian People’s Front for West Papua (FRI-WP) and the Papuan Student Alliance (AMP).

This is because they accuse the Indonesian government of illegal political practices in Papua, of failing to uphold the rights of the Papuan people and because both presidential candidates have a bad track record on Papua.

“Indonesia is a state which since the declaration of the Trikora operation on December 19, 1961, has conducted illegal political activities in the territory”, said FRI-WP spokesperson Surya Anta at the Jakarta Legal Aid Foundation (LBH Jakarta) offices in Central Jakarta last week.

“Because of this we are taking a position and declaring that we will not take part in the 2019 presidential or legislative elections,” he said.

Loading...
;

Anta explained that what they mean by the territory of West Papua was an area extending from Numbai to Merauke, Raja Ampat to Baliem and Biak Island to Adi Island.

The groups also believe that the contestants in the 2019 election on April 17 are the same as those in previous elections where candidates are only interested in gathering votes from the Papuan people.

However, there has been no effort by the legislative, presidential or vice-presidential candidates to uphold the rights of the West Papuan people, they say.

Maintaining colonialism

Speaking in the same vein, Student Struggle Center for National Liberation (Pembebasan) national collective secretary-general Samsi Mahmud said that the Papuan people were not interested in the 2019 elections.

Aside from Indonesia’s illegal political activities, according to Mahmud none of the political parties are articulating the wishes of the Papuan people and the elections are only aimed at maintaining the practice of colonialism.

“[The elections] are a tool for the colonial government to put local power holders in place to safeguard their interests”, said Mahmud.

AMP member Erepul Sama said there was no difference between the two presidential candidates, incumbent President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Prabowo Subianto, particularly in their handling of human rights violations.

“Prabowo himself has a bad track record in Papua such as the Mapenduma incident. But this doesn’t mean that Jokowi is any better”, said Sama.

“Jokowi has allowed human rights violations to occur again and again, for example in the bloody Paniai case which has still not been resolved”, he added.

Aside from declaring that they will not take part in the 2019 elections, the FRP-WP and the AMP made three other demands: West Papuans be given the right to self-determination, All organic and non-organic troops be withdrawn from Papua, and Journalists be given free access to Papua.

Background

Operation Trikora was declared by Indonesian founding President Sukarno in the Central Java city of Yogyakarta on December 19, 1961.

It was an Indonesian military operation aimed at harassing and forcing the Dutch out of Netherlands New Guinea in 1961-62 rather than one intended to suppress a nascent independence movement.

The Mapenduma operation was a botched rescue operation in the remote Mapenduma area of West Papua led by then Kopassus commander Prabowo Subianto in 1996 to secure the release of World Wildlife Fund researches taken hostage by the Free Papua Movement.

The attempt ended in a military attack on Geselema village resulting in the death of up to eight civilians.

On December 8, 2014, barely two months after Widodo was sworn in as president, five students were killed and 17 others seriously injured when police and military opened fire on a group of protesters and local residents in the town of Enarotali, Paniai regency.

Shortly after the incident, Widodo personally pledged to resolve the case but four years into his presidency no one has been held accountable for the shootings. (pmc.aut.ac.nz/CNN Indonesia)

 

Source: Pasific Media Centre

(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)

Headlines

A survivor of Biak Massacre: Don’t stop us commemorating the victims of the tragedy

Published

on

The National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) in Jakarta – Supplied

Makassar, Jubi – A survivor of the Biak Massacre Tineke Rumkabu warned security forces to not preventing people sprinkle flower petals at around the water tower in Biak, Papua, she told in an online forum organised by the Law School of UPNVJ on Monday (6/7/2020).

According to her, she and some friends and relatives came to the water tower to sprinkle flower petals and pray for the victims of the Biak Massacre on Monday morning (6/7/2020). However, the movement to commemorate the twenty-two years of the tragedy got attention from the security forces who were on the scene.

“I told them that I will continue to sprinkle the flower petals because they (victims) have no grave. If you tell me where their graves are, I will go there and not come here anymore [to pray and sprinkle flower petals],” said Rumkabu.

The security forces once tried to stop them. “They followed us to the scene (water tower) and told me that we did not have a permit. But at around 11 a.m. [Papua time], I entered the area of the water tower and put a flower bouquet there. I don’t care whatever the risk I would face. I would never be scared. It is the place where my friends, elders, and relatives got murdered while nobody knows their graves,” she said.

Loading...
;

About the tragedy, she emphasised that the state must take responsibility for both victims and their families. “Maybe the violence and injustice will end if Papua gets freedom. If we are parts of this country, we should be guarded and protected instead of massacred,” she said.

The Biak Massacre that occurred on 6 July 1998 is a dark story in Papuan history. The tragedy began with a peaceful protest for a referendum and a raising of the Morning Star flag under the water tower in Biak since 2 July 1998 but ended with a series of arrests, tortures, shots, rapes and other violence on the fourth day.

A few years ago, Elsham Papua published their result of investigation under the title “Pusara Tanpa Nama, Nama Tanpa Pusara (Grave without Name, Name without Grave)”. The report listed eight people died, three were missing, four seriously injured while 33 lightly wounded, and 150 were arrested and tortured, and 32 corpses found floating in the Biak waters.

An Indonesian human rights commissioner Beka Ulung Hapsara in the similar discussion forum told that the National Human Rights Commission (Komnas HAM) already submitted their result of the investigation to the authority, but has not yet received any response.

“The Biak Massacre is a human tragedy that must be taken seriously. An initial investigation of Komnas HAM (a few years ago) found some indicators of human rights violations in the tragedy such as torture and so on,” said Beka.

Therefore, he said, the investigation team of Komnas HAM came to Papua several times to investigate this case, and in 2010 recommended Article 26/2000 about the severe human rights violation should apply to analyse the Biak Massacre. However, there was no follow up until the assignment of new commissioners.

Some activists joined the “Papua Itu Kita” movement attempting to bring up the settlement of the Biak Massacre. On 26 February 2015, they came to the Komnas HAM office and urged the human rights commissioners to follow up their investigation.

“Regarding the Biak case, I will try to bring up this issue in the plenary meeting, and discuss it with other colleagues to find a fair and dignified solution for the victims and their families,” said Beka. (*)

 

Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 23 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

TPNPB Paniai declines the extension of Special Autonomy in Papua

Published

on

By

TPNPB Paniai Commander Demianus Magai Yogi (holding the megaphone) – Jubi/Dok

Jayapura, Jubi – West Papua Liberation Army Division II Paniai published a statement to decline the extension of Special Autonomy in Papua.

Furthermore, Commander Demianus Magai Yogi claimed those who support this policy are taking side with colonialism. “Those who support the Special Autonomy and other policies of the Indonesian Government in Papua support the colonialist to eliminate us, the indigenous Papuans,” Yogi told Jubi on Sunday (5/7/2020).

Law No. 21 of 2001 about Special Autonomy has regulated some critical issues in Papua, including the establishment of the National Human Rights Commission Papua, the Human Rights Courts, and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission for clarifying or correcting the Papuan history and deploying the Special Autonomy Funds.

However, the Special Autonomy Funds that equal with 2 percent of the National Allocation Budget will terminate at the end of 2021. As a result, it has raised a discourse of evaluation and revision on the Special Autonomy Law.

Loading...
;

For this reason, Yogi accused those who propose the extension of the Special Autonomy in Papua are those who want to compromise with the Indonesian Government to decline the political rights of Papuan people.

“As indigenous Papuans, our primary interest is the rights of self-determination that has been neglected or taken from us through the Pepera (People’s Vote) in 1969,” said Yogi.

Therefore, Yogi said the TPNPB Pania would continue to discharge the invaders and fight for the independence of West Papua. “[We] will continue to fight until the independence of West Papuans materialised,” he said.

In the meantime, his colleague Soleman Magai Yogi stated that the Indonesian occupation of West Papua since 1963 was a conspiracy between Indonesia, the United States, Netherlands and the United Nations. This occupation is a form of violation against the standards and principles of international law.

Because as the landowner, they never involved West Papuans in the international meetings and negotiations to discuss the political status of West Papua,” he said.

Moreover, since 1963, Indonesia continues to carry out military operations that have killed many indigenous Papuans. “Indonesian authorities have chased, intimidated, terrorised, arrested and killed Papuans who fight for their rights and the sovereignty of West Papua,” he said.

To sum, he declined the ambition of Jakarta to extend the implementation of Special Autonomy in Papua. “We only ask for the rights of self-determination,” said Soleman Yogi. (*)

 

Reporter: Abeth You

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 41 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Papua’s Manpower Office and PT Freeport Indonesia filed to the Administrative Court by LBH Papua

Published

on

By

Jayapura, Jubi- Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Papua represents the Branch Manager of the Federation of Indonesian Chemical and Mining Trade Union (PC FSP KEP SPSI) of Mimika Regency to file a case against the Papua Provincial Manpower and PT Freeport Indonesia to the Jayapura Administrative District Court. This lawsuit is a follow-up action following the labour strike of 8,300 PT Freeport Indonesia’s workers from 1 May 2017 to 2020.

“Law No.13 of 2003 on employment pledges the labour strike,” said the Director of LBH Papua Emanuel Gobay in the official release received by Jubi on Monday (6/7/2020).

Therefore, according to LBH Papua, the labour strike initiated by 8,2300 Freeport’s workers was legal by law. Consequently, PT Freeport Indonesia should immediately restore the workers’ rights to work and pay their outstanding wages following the recommendation of the First Examination Note.

Moreover, LBH Papua stated the Papua Provincial Manpower Office also acknowledged the strike by issuing the letter No. 560/1271 which then becomes a reference for the Papua Governor to publish the letter No 540/14807/SET, Re: Confirmation of PT Freeport Indonesia Labour Strike dated 19 December 2018.

Loading...
;

The letter confirmed the labour strike was under Law No 13 of 2003 Articles 139 and 140 about employment. Hence, it made the action legal by law.

“Therefore Papua Governor firmly stated that PT Freeport Indonesia, Private Contractors and Sub-contractors to re-employ the workers and pay their outstanding wages by the existing laws and regulations,” said Gobay.

However, from 16 December 2019 to another next thirty days, PT Freeport Indonesia has violated the two recommendations covered in the First Examination Note. To refer to Article 31 of the Regulation of the Indonesian Minister of Manpower No. 33 of 2016 concerning the Procedure of Labour Inspection, the Labour Inspection Division should issue the Second Examination Note after the thirty days of misconduct.

Therefore, this lawsuit reflects the interest of their client, PC FSP KEP SPSI) Mimika Regency, to urge PT Freeport Indonesia to implement the recommendation and the Labour Inspection Division to issue the Second Examination Note.

“We also ask the Chairman of Regional Parliament to review both the Manpower Office and PT Freeport Indonesia in regards to their obligation to fulfil the rights of 8,300 workers who were involved in the strike,” confirmed Gobay.

Also, Gobay asks the President of the Republic of Indonesia as well as the Minister of Manpower to protect and fulfil the rights of these workers. (*)

 

Reporter: Edi Faisol

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 23 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Most Read Posts

Latest Post

Advertisement

Trending