Jayapura, 4/2 (Jubi) – The Ministry of Religious Affairs estimates that this year’s Hajj quota for Papua Province stands at about 600 pilgrims.
The lower quota for Papua province is mainly the result of the Saudi Arabian government’s decision to reduce the number of Haj pilgrims from Indonesia by 20 percent, said the head of the Hajj Affairs and Islamic Guidance Division at the Ministry of Religious Affairs Regional Office in Papua Province, H. Alwi Tianlean,
“We have received information from the Ministry’s headquarters that the Hajj quota nationally will remain the same as last year, as well as the quota for each province,” Tianlean said told tabloidjubi.com on Tuesday (4/2).
“For Papua, the number of last year ‘s Hajj candidates was reduced from 1,065 to 840, and then that number was reduced again by 212 because some Hajj pilgrims were not able to go or canceled their trips. So in 2014, we have about 628 candidates for Papua Province,” Tianlean said.
Tianlean said the Hajj quota for each regency/municipality would be based on either the Regulation of the Papuan Governor or the Integrated Computerized Hajj System (SISKOHAT Online).
The Head of the Jayapura Office of the Ministry of Religious Affairs, Syamsudin, said that the Hajj quota for Jayapura Municipality is entirely determined by SISKOHAT’s waiting list and registration number.
“So the number of Hajj pilgrims can increase or decrease because it’s distributed throughout the province,” he said.
Currently the number of would-be pilgrims on SISKOHAT’s waiting list for Jayapura Municipality has reached about 3800, and about 9000 for the entire Papua Province. (Jubi/Sindung/rom)