Ombudsman Indonesia -

Ombudsman: Public service in West Papua is still far from expectations


Ombudsman Indonesia –

Manokwari, Jubi – Indonesia Ombudsman (ORI), West Papua Provincial Representative Office has handled hundreds of cases of alleged maladministration practices during 2017.

Nortberthus, the West Papua ORI Representative in Manokwari, on Thursday (January 18th), said in general the condition is still far from the expectations. But the institution continues to encourage the improvement.

On the sphere of public services, Ombudsman noted that West Papua province is still far from the expectation.

“Compared to other provinces, public services in West Papua are still far from expectations. In 2017, we have received 144 cases of maladministration complaints,” he said.


He then explained that the Ombudsman performs the task of acceptance and management of complaints as well as the socialization and network construction from the communities.

Public service, according to him, is a strategic point to establish a good governance practices or good governance. From every complaint it received, Ombudsman claimed to optimally supervise and encourage a fair settlement.

According to him, people have started to give response on government services. It was proven by the increasing complaints addressed to the Ombudsman throughout the last few years.

He said 144 complaints were received thought many types of communication, including email, investigative initiative, and information from mass media, letters and complaints via telephone.

“Direct report submission is 53 percent and investigative initiative 21 percent,” he said.

He specifies the form of alleged maladministration received in the form of procedural irregularities as many as 49 cases; 27 delayed cases; abuse of authority 12 cases; not providing services 24 cases; discrimination 1 case; demand for money, goods and services 5 cases; incompetent 19 cases; and inappropriate service 17 cases.

“As many as 71 percent of cases have been resolved, the remaining 29 percent are still in the process of completion,” he said.(Antara)

You might also like