Military Commander Confirm the Two Shooting Victims in Puncak Jaya
The Military Region Commander (Pangdam) XVII Cenderawasih, Major General Christian Zebua (Jubi)
Jayapura, 24/1 (Jubi) – The Military Region Commander (Pangdam) XVII Cenderawasih, Major General Christian Zebua confirmed that the gunfire has been occurred in Mulia, Puncak Jaya and caused one death from the Armed Civilian Group and one death from the Indonesian Army from Yonif 753/AVT.
“It’s right that last morning at 07.30 Papua time. The soldiers with the police have patrolled, actually for securing the area. It turns out a conflict with the armed civilians and we have killed one of them and seized their weapons,” Christian said during the panel discussion “the Readiness on the Implementation and Security for Election 2014 in Province Papua” in Papua Police Headquarter Office, Jayapura, Papua, Friday (24/1)
He gave his condolences for the death of a civilian of the armed group. However, he said it should be done because if it didn’t so the group will disturb others as well as the soldiers and police officers.
When he was asked about another shooting victim from the army, he confirmed that his soldier was killed on duty. “The army came to evacuate the body (civilian’s) but in the middle of the road, my soldier was shot. It is the consequence as a soldier, and he was from Battalion 753. We mourned for the death of our soldier, Pratu Sugianto, from Batallion 753/AVT. Now his body was on the way to Makassar, South Sulawesi,” he said.
Previously, around 07.30 Papua time, there was gunfire between Kompi Yonif 751/Raider Mobile and the Armed Civilian Group in Pintu Angin, Puncak Jaya District. This incident has caused one death from civilian group. A few hours later, around 10.10 Papua time, another shooting has been occurred in the same location and killed a soldier of the Indonesian Army from Battalion 753/AVT. (Jubi/Indrayadi TH/P. Maizier)