West Papua No.1 News Portal | Jubi
Jayapura, Jubi – Papuan Humanity Team on Case of Violence against Religious Figures in Intan Jaya regency, or Humanity Team, has completed the documentation of alleged extrajudicial killings against Protestant pastor Yeremia Zanambani on Sept. 19, 2020. This report documents facts surrounding the killing of Pastor Yeremia.
This report includes analysis of the context of violence in Intan Jaya regency, in particular between Indonesian Military (TNI) and the West Papua Liberation Army (TPNPB), which has been happening at the expense of civilians in the regency. This is the sixth from the series published in jubi.co.id.
The murder of Pastor Yeremia Zanambani has similarities with the murder of a Jesuit priest in El Salvador in 1989, which involved several soldiers and a commander in Salvador Army. The court in Spain, which has an international jurisdiction, found in 2020 that one of the perpetrators, a former Salvadoran army colonel, was found guilty of “terrorist murders” against the five Jesuits.
Earlier, in 2011, the court found 20 army members guilty of murder, terrorism, and crimes against humanity for the same case.
Learning from that case and based on human rights principles and to bring justice to Papua Land, the Humanity Team made several conclusions and recommendations after it finished the report on the murder of Zanambani and other violent cases in the regency.
1. We found preliminary and convincing evidence that what happened in Intan Jaya was a gross human rights violation, with the qualification of “crimes against humanity”.
2. The Humanity Team found convincing and enough proof that what happened against Pastor Zanambani was an extra judicial killing.
3. The Humanity Team found preliminary evidence, which needs to be verified, that supports the allegation that the perpetrator of the killing was done by and involved the members of the Indonesian Military (TNI).
4. The team found preliminary evidence, to be verified in an investigation until it was declared enough, to support the allegation of a crime against humanity.
1. To the President of the Republic of Indonesia: Order TNI commander to pull out the military personnel and stop the military operation in Intan Jaya.
2. To the President of the Republic of Indonesia: Cancel the establishment of the Hitadipa Military Command.
3. To the TNI: Leave YPPGI Hitadipa Elementary School so the school can be used for educating the children again.
4. To the Papua administration: Communicate with the parties related to the armed conflicts in Intan Jaya Regency to have a cease fire for humanity.
5. To Papua Governor: Urge the National Commission for Human Rights to follow up the investigation and their findings by questioning the security personnel.
6. To the TNI: Reveal the whereabouts of Apinus Zanambani and Luther Zanambani, whose last known position on April 21, 2020 was at Sugapa Military Command.
7. To Papua Governor: Collect data to identify the number, the mapping, and the condition of the displaced people from Hitadipa, Sugapa, Agisiga, and Ugimba districts.
8. To Papua Governor: Anticipate famine among the displaced people.
9. To Papua Governor: Make sure the displaced people get access to education and health in their respective shelter.
10. To Papua Governor: Provide trauma healing to the communities affected by the armed conflicts, especially the women and the children.
11. To Papua Governor: Help Intan Jaya administration to restore their social and economic condition, especially in Hitadipa.
12. To Papua Governor: Check the Recommendation Letter for Area Permit for Special Mining Business (WIUPK) to the Mind ID president director, and revoke the recommendation.
13. To Papua Governor: Form an independent team to collect data on violence to people and alleged human rights violations in Papua Land.
14. To TNI and the National Police: Implement strict legal actions on any member involved in violence against civilians.
15. To Papuan Church Council and other religious institutions to push the government to pull out the TNI and police personnel from Intan Jaya so the people who have been displaced can go home before Christmas so they can celebrate Christmas at home.
Reporter: Victor Mambor