Jayapura 27/3 (Jubi) – The Indonesian Consulate General in Papua New Guinea, Jahar Gultom, said there had been three border violations by Indonesians recently and urged authorities to make sure such breaches would not happen again.
He said the detention of a police officer that brought a firearm to Papua New Guinea should serve as a lesson.
“So far I knew this was the third case. Well, PNG authorities didn’t like this situation because they felt they were disrespected,” Gultom told tabloidjubi.com by phone on Thursday (27/3).
He said in an earlier case a police officer was caught taking pictures with his family in the PNG area and extorted PNG citizens. He urged authorities to inform the public through banners and other media. Commenting on illegal taxes, Gultom said the PNG government was not aware about it.
However, the Indonesian Consulate has reported the case to the Border Agency of Indonesia and security forces at the Border since 2012, he said.
Papua Police Spokesman Commissioner Senior Sulistyo Pudjo Hartono said by phone on Thursday that security forces have sufficiently provided information to Indonesian citizens who travel to the border area. (Jubi/Indrayadi TH/rom)